Tuesday, March 26, 2013

It's a Love Story

In August or maybe January (destination-wedding planning is difficult), this man will be pronounced my husband. We started dating 7 years ago, and I’m happy beyond words that we will be together for the rest of our lives.
 



Nate and I fell in love when we were both 16. This fact still amazes me because I was kind of a little shit in high school. I had awful black hair that matched my awful attitude, so I’m not quite sure how anyone could have fallen in love with me, but somehow Nathan did. I can’t say it was love at first sight. The first night we met, we had somehow ended up riding in the same car to a party together. He thought I was a brat and he was pissing me off. Such tender memories. 
 



A week later we had a much better interaction. I had been assigned to take care of one of those fake babies for my Adult Roles class. I was having trouble carrying my pretend baby in her car seat and all of my soccer crap (I used to be athletic) at the same time. Nate spotted me in the commons and helped me carry my stuff out to the parking lot. Together we named my baby Lil’ Kim, and from that moment on we were best friends.

 --Unrelated sidebar: despite my recently assigned mothering duties, I wanted to go tanning so I left Lil’ Kim alone in the lobby of the tanning salon for approximately 15 minutes.  I’m going to make a horrible mother someday.

Nate was and is the most genuinely kind person I know. It wasn’t instant love, but our relationship instantly felt… significant. Deep down, I knew he was going to be a big part of my life. We were really good friends for about a year. My feelings for him grew and he eventually ended up tricking me into kissing him in Aaron Froerer’s basement, underneath a bean bag (smooth Nathan, smooth) on December 21, 2006. I have been kissing him ever since that day. 
 







Over the course of the last seven years, Nate has seen the best and worst
moments of my life. He has seen the shittiest parts of me and he is still by my side. We have grown up together in love. I think that’s something rare in this world, so I feel very lucky every single day. I love his sweet family and my family adores him. We just fit so well together. Things weren’t always easy, but breaking up was never an option for us. We have always taken our relationship very seriously.
 







We aren’t exactly the traditional Utah love story, because you know, we kind of already live together. But I love our life so much. It’s funny how life works out. If you would have asked me in high school what I wanted my life to look like at 22. I probably would have said that I wanted to marry Nathan in Hawaii and have a bunch of animals. That’s exactly what I have.  I fall asleep every night with a smile on my face and truly with all my heart, I am so happy.


I love you Nathan James Hawkes and I can’t wait to be your wife. 

2 comments:

  1. This is the cutest, I almost cried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO WOMAN. NO CRY.
    Just kidding, thanks Rosie :)

    ReplyDelete